Pages

4.11.10

Disturbing The Peace

My first college class ever was Introduction to Sociology. The professor started the class off by letting us know she would not be having use write our name on a seating chart of any sort. Aside from the fact we were in college and could sit where ever we pleased, the prof went on to state that just by sitting where we had we had made-up our own seating chart. She promised use that at some point during the semester, there was bound to be at least a few incidences where someone would walk into class and see someone else in "their seat." The seat that was unofficially assigned to them just by the mere fact that they had sat their on this particular first day of class. To what extent this would bother someone was yet to be known, but the prof bet us that when this did occur at least one discussion would take place to "rectify" the matter.

That was 16 years ago and I still think about what she said from time-to-time as I drift about this thing we call life. Yesterday was one of those days. It happened on my way into the city. I was on the not-so-at-the-crack-ass-of-dawn train when I opted to sit in an empty seats in of, what I call, the group seating area of the train. (In these "group seating areas" instead of two people facing the direction the train is moving , there are two people sitting backward of the train's direction and two forwards.) Honestly, I like these particular seats because on most occasions you can usually put your bag on the seat next to you or across from you. Rarely do I find that four people sit in these group areas. Simply put, it's a bit uncomfortable to do so. At least I think it is. However, there are those that don't share my opinion.

I should have remembered I was taking over a seat from a regular group sits in this particular area, in this particular car. How could I forget them? I saw them every work day for the year or so I commuted into the city for work. But, alas, I did forget. All I will say is the look on one of the group member's face when they saw there usual seat(s) were taken was priceless. Confusion. That is the only word I can come up with. In this particular group there are about 3 - 6 people. (I don't remember 100% as it's been awhile since I've sat in this particular car on this particular train.) There were two of us disturbing the peace and throwing order out the window. Nothing was said to me, or the other lady, but I could tell itI had thrown things off. Just like I could tell when I did this awhile back on a different morning train, to a different group.

Being the people watcher I am, this got me wondering. The commuting routes people take daily are constantly changing (like most things in life). One day you need the train to get to work; the next you don't. Do the "regular" commuters realize this? Is there a seniority system on the train that new commuters should be aware of? Or some sort of reserved seating upgrade available I was just not aware of?

Regardless, I can understand the upset that comes when your "regular" space is otherwise occupied. I'm still in shock my knitting groups doesn't get reserved seating at our chosen venues. They know we are there weekly regardless of the what the weather may bring us or if it's a holiday or not. (Hell, something tells me we'd show up on Christmas if the place was open.) All rants aside, I know that even I feel an entitlement to the space we occupy weekly, but would never just assume it will be there for us unless I we were assured by management that was the case.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not upset about what happened. Nor do I think the parties involved in any of these incidences are upset either. I actually just find it more amusing more than anything else and an interesting observation of human behavior.

Until later . . .

1 comment:

Melissa said...

That's very interesting. I know how it is though. I usually sit at a certain table in the kitchen for lunch and get annoyed when someone else is at that table. If I sit at the other table, then I displace this other group that usually sits there. Lots of musical chairs going on.

Bookmark and Share