Pages

25.7.11

Making My Way To My First 5K

It was back in April when I first toyed with the idea of taking up running again. I had attended a wedding where I was seated with a group of individuals who participate in triathlons. As much as I wanted to start running back them, I had other things in my life I was focusing on and really couldn't find the time to fit it into my schedule. So, I made myself a promise... I would start training for a 5K race (to be run sometime this Fall) as of June 12th.

It might seem like it was a random date to pick, but it wasn't. That is when my schedule would free-up and I would be able to dedicate the time I needed to train. Sure, I walked a lot during the summer and I had been walked at a minimum 10 miles a week because my daily routine required me too, but I also knew that I hadn't had a regular workout routine in several years and it would take some time to get back in the swing of things.

Prior to starting I made sure to invest in a good pair of running shoes. Even with running shoes I knew this new undertaking of mine would take a toll on my knees and I wanted to mitigate the damage as much as I could.

Not too long after I began running again I decided that it might behoove me to start weight training. My focus unexpectedly started to shift a bit. Not only did I want to train for this infamous 5k I planned to run, but now I suddenly wanted to get in shape. Beyond my normal "winter weight" there are a few pounds I've been wanting to shed for some time and I knew just running would not facilitate that process.

It's been a month since I started working toward this goal. At this point in time I can't really tell you how much, if any, weight I've lost from running and weight training... I kind of haven't gotten on a scale yet to see where my weight is at. I have, however, begun to seen progress in my running and more importantly my enthusiasm for a regular exercise regime. Additionally, it has further enhanced my outlook on life in general (I'll get more into that in a later post.)

As I continue work towards towards running my first 5K race I plan to blog about the experience. I say my first race because tonight S asked me tonight if I wanted to run a local St. Paddy's Day race next March... yes, I haven't even run my first race and I'm already planning for my second one. (A very me thing to do!)

In the meantime, I hope you will continue to read about my experiences as I make my way to my first 5K!

Until later . . .

1 comment:

Bookmark and Share