Pages

21.7.11

Regret?

During the course of this Thursday blogging project topics have come along that just don't sit well with me for one reason or another. I have admit, when Sara gave us the task of writing about our greatest regret I wasn't exactly chomping at the bit to get started.

My reaction mainly has to do with the fact that there are many things that have taken place in my life I could pinpoint as a great regret. Also, on more occasions than I would like to admit, I have found myself stating I regretted (insert event). The truth of the matter that I don't regret those things. I know it sound cliche, but they are a part of my life and I know I'm a better person because of those experiences.

So, I sat for some time pondering what I was going to write about because I still felt there had to be something I regretted . . . it wasn't until I saw a yellow post-it note that was on the desk I was sitting at that it hit me what my greatest regret is.

The words on the post-it was a line from Maroon 5's song "Misery":

"It's not what I didn't feel; it's what I didn't show."

The words hit me hard. When I first think about those words I think of them regarding romantic relationships that I was too scared to show how I was really feeling - or I took a long time to reveal. However, after further rumination I realized the words also applied in other situations in my life. See there is a lot of unspoken feelings I have toward those close to me. Mainly feelings of gratitude and thanks. Part of the reason for this has to do with the assumption that these people know how much I appreciate what they have done for me. The other reason has to do with the question of when is the best time to thank someone for something they did so long ago. The answer I came up with - Anytime.

Like with my life experiences that I have on occasion professed regret towards, my regret toward my lack of expression is short-lived. It's something I'm working on changing. It's something that will make me an even better person.

Now that I have shared by greatest regret, please take a moment to read what my fellow bloggers have to say:


Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Mom of Many (Susanna)

Until later . . .

1 comment:

Melissa said...

very interesting. thanks for sharing. :)

Bookmark and Share