Pages

6.10.11

A Slice Of Humble Pie

BFF was the one that called me out on it. I had just commented to her that I really didn't have the time to date like I had hoped since I was prepping for the LSAT - amongst all the other things I had going on in my life - and would need to make the guy I had gone out with a few times aware of this little tidbit of information. That's when she pointed out the irony of that statement as I had once been on the receiving end of similar news. (It wasn't because of the LSAT, but law school was involved.) After BFF made her comment, I did a bit of back-pedaling. I said it was different because it wasn't an invested relationship and I probably wouldn't have continued on seeing this person even if I didn't have the LSAT to think about; however, I did understand what she was trying to point out.

This week, for the Thursday blogging group topic I asked everyone to take a minute to think about a time when they walked in someone else's shoes for awhile and it helped them understand better what that person was experiencing. I asked everyone to reflect upon their experience and to discuss what effect it had on them... Were they more sympathetic towards others who have those circumstances? More humbled? Or, did it not change their outlook at all?

My first LSAT experience was a definite wake-up call for me. Aside from making me take a step-back from the whole process and really think long and hard, again, about whether or not I should apply to law school altogether it also reminded me about what had happened to me. It made me want to go back to the person I mentioned above and tell them I now got what they were trying to impress upon me. It also made me realize that sometimes you think you know, or have an idea, what someone is really going through, but the truth of the matter is that you don't.


Soccer Mom For A Day

Recently, I helped S one weekend take her kids to their soccer tournaments. Mr. S was out-of-town, and she needed to be in two places at one time. When she asked me to help her I was more than happy to do so.

Our day started bright and early - my itinerary showed I needed to be at her house by 8:45 AM to pick up Mac 'N Cheese for his game in a neighboring town. This mean I would need to be up and out by 8 AM at the latest. Though they don't live too far from me I knew that caffeine was a must and I would need extra time to acquire it.

After an early start, and two rounds of getting the boys ready and to their games and home, I was beat! Seriously, I never knew it would take so much energy out of me. Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun that day, but man.... I mean, aside from the fact that I had gotten 3 hours of sleep the night before, I'm not sure why it took so much energy out of me, however it did.

Later that evening, as S and I sat at their kitchen table discussing this and that it was easy to tell we were beat. Somewhere around 8:30 PM, I told S I was done for the evening and was heading home - I was ready to go to sleep. That is when she looked at me and said something to the effect of, "Welcome to my world."

My "Soccer Mom" for a day experience truly furthered appreciation for the art of parenting. It made me realize why my friends who are parents aren't always up for evening plans on the weekends.


Now I Get It

Usually I'm the one understanding where others come from; not the other way around. That is until about a little over a month ago . . . . I was catching up with a friend over coffee when they told me that they finally understood a lot of the things I had talked to them about 9 months prior. It all made sense to them now. I really didn't react to what they said. I just sat there trying to make sure I heard them right. They had just validated how I felt which is something I cannot recall ever happening to me prior to that moment. I mean, I'm sure it has happened before, but at that moment I could not pin-point another moment it had happened.

A few weeks later, as I was talking to someone else about some things going on in my life they to expressed that what I was saying made sense to them and they completely understood where I was coming from. Once again, I didn't say much about it, but I hearing that made me happy.

Last week, at Rosh Hashanah dinner, I was talking to a cousin of mine. I didn't even have to go into vast details... All I had to say were five words and she got it. She echoed how I was feelings without having me even say the words. Validation. Do you see a trend? There is a comfort that comes when you understand someone understands were you are coming from. There is a bond that is formed.

I'm including these stories in here for two reasons . . . First, there were the experiences that were the inspiration for this topic. Second, I want to demonstrate the importance of being able to understand where someone is coming. I don't always understand because I haven't had the same experiences as all the individual I know; however, I'd like to think I try the best I can to understand, and be understanding. It's something I am constantly working on.


In the end, "walking a mile in someone else's shoes" I have learned that I need to remember to be more understanding than I am at times. Sometimes, I almost thrive on walking that mile so I can better understand those around me, and relate to them better (especially those that are closest to me in my life).

Now that I have talked about my thoughts on "walking a mile in someone else's shoes," please take a moment to read what my fellow bloggers have to say about the topic:

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Mom of Many (Susanna)

Until later . . .

No comments:

Bookmark and Share