Pages

13.8.10

Expectations

We had just passed the Coach store off of Michigan Ave when I noticed the seam of my Coach purse had split. To say I was upset was an understatement - and shocked to some degree. As many are aware, the brand Coach comes with a certain level of expectation when it comes to quality and product reliability. Since we were literally in the neighborhood we make a U-turn and popped in for a second. Though I had purchased the bag at an outlet store, I figured it wouldn't be a problem to deal with one of their retail locations. I mean, it's a repair on a Coach bag and a Coach, is a Coach, is a Coach - right!? Think again. Turns out the serial number on the bag indicated it was an outlet bag and since it was such the manager in charge wouldn't handle my request. I would have to return the outlet center I got it from and work with that store. Now, I feel the need to point out that I didn't live out in Iowa back then so going to the particular outlet center I needed to go to wasn't as convenient as it is now. Alas, I went. In the end I decided to return the bag and found a "real" (or at least that is how I believe my manager friend would describe it) Coach bag for around the same price.

Funny enough, six months after I purchased the "real" Coach, we passed by the Coach store on Michigan Ave once again. As we joked about the experience I had had the last time we were there the strap broke on my "real" Coach. (I kid you not.) Once again, we did a U-turn and popped in. As they surveyed the damage, I relayed my story from my last visit. The staff looked horrified and asked whom I worked with. I couldn't recall the name as I had been so traumatized by the experience I apparently repressed the image of this person. All I could tell them was it was a guy and the time period in which the incident had taken place. They apologized profusely. This time my options were to send the bag out for repair or take a credit towards the purchase a new one. I decided to purchase a new one (a decision I later regretted as I've never found another bag like the one I traded-in). However, I do still like the one I got - even though now my wallet wouldn't even fit in it.

All said and done, my second visit to that Coach store location reinforced the expectations I had always associated with the brand. However, even until this day I still remember that one bad seed I encountered and being made to feel lesser than some.

.......................................................................................

Lifetime guarantee. Apparently, the Eddie Bauer backpack I purchased my freshman year of college came with a "Lifetime guarantee." (I just learned this the other day.)

When I purchased the backpack I thought spending $50 for it was a bit on the pricey side, but I justified the expense as "treating" myself. I figured if I had to spend at the very least close to $100 per a text book the least I could do was a have something nice to carry them in. I never imagined I'd still have it 16 years later. Yep, I still have it. Well, sorta. The zipper recently broke and you can see it's not new by any means. This is one of those items that I would say has "seen war." It's been through practically everything with me. It's been taken on planes . . . on trains . . . and (most definitely) automobiles. It's carried all kinds of things - Text books, my crap when I've moving and laptops and work items when used as my "briefcase." Most recently it was my knitting bag. It provided a safe environment for blankie. Actually, the only reason blankie got a new bag had do with the fact that I was starting to anticipate problems with my backpack's zipper and the last thing I wanted was for blankie to get caught in the zipper.

Since it had lasted so long, I figured I'd make the investment once again in an EB backpack. As I was browsing the site I noticed the words, "Lifetime Guarantee." This made me wonder if my broken-zippered bag was covered as well. So I called customer service. After my pathetic rambling about how I had the bag for 16 years and how the zipper had broken I asked in a sheepish voice, "Can I get it fixed? Is it covered by the lifetime guarantee?" The customer service rep on the other line immediately asked me for my name and address so they could send me a return slip and address label. Upon receipt they would inspect the bag to determine whether it would be replaced or refund my money for the last known price.

I realize this means that I could potentially received a check in the amount of $2.00 for said bag, but I figure that's better than dumping it in the trash and getting nothing. At the end of the day, I'm impressed that even after 16 years a company is willing to standby their product and honor their promise. It's one of two reasons the next time I purchase a $50 backpack from Eddie Bauer I won't be justifying my actions. Instead, I will be repeating this story and people will just immediately understand.

.......................................................................................

About three weeks ago I got some madelinetosh sock yarn from a destash sale at a local yarn store. I was jazzed! I paid practically nothing for it - $8 to be exact. For anyone who knows the price of madelinetosh that mean I basically save around 70 - 75% of the retail cost. (Just try calling me a spend-thrift . . . I dare you!)

Since it came from another home I decided to soak it in some wool wash, air dry and then freeze it in an effort to kill any undesirable bugs or such. Now I don't normally do this with yarn purchased at a LYS where it has most likely been petted time-and-time-and-time again by many knitters, but I felt the need to cleanse it as I wasn't privied to the type of home it came from.

During this process there was a lot of color bleeding. I mean A LOT. The only other time I had seen this much color bleeding was with yarn I had hand dyed. I expected it from my dyed yarn since I am not a professional dyer by any means, but from well known commercial dyers . . . not so much. Isn't that part of what I'm paying for? Ok, I'll put it like this. If I get inexpensive yarn at JoAnn's or Michael's and the quality is lacking I don't make too much of a fuss about it. However, once I start shelling-out more cash my expectations increase as well.

Especially with hand dyed yarns. Yes, I guess I accept there could be some color bleeding, but the amount I had was unreal to me. It was enough that made me glad I didn't put it in the wash with any of my clothes. Surely there will be more when I go to wash it again. So, like most I decided to contact the dyer directly through their site. I explained the situation and had a simple question - "Is this normal?" After several days of waiting for an answer without success I turned to the Ravelry forum regarding this matter. Yes, apparently this is normal. Apparently, part of buying this yarn is either soaking it in vinegar to set further, switch wool wash should mine be scented or just accept it as it is hand-dyed.

Now, like I said earlier, this isn't the first time I've purchased hand-dyed yarn. That's actually most of what I purchase actually. Furthermore, I've actually taken a tour of a well known dye studio. One of the things the owner talked about was the process of rinsing the yarn so it didn't bleed once in the hands of consumers. Now, I've used this particular yarn as well and I can tell you - it doesn't bleed when washed

Now, I'm not looking to trash this particular brand of yarn. Actually, I love their colors immensely. I'm just trying to understand why it's ok to expect me to pay close to $30 (non-destash/sale pricing) for yarn to then have to take further steps to prevent dyes from staining my sinks, towels and potentially my clothes.


My point of all these stories is to demonstrate that if a brand would like to reap the benefits of being known as a quality, well respected brand they should consider the expectations of their customer . . . and live up to them.

Until later . . .

1 comment:

Suzy Myers said...

Wow. I'm glad you decided to wash the yarn ahead of time. I do not normally do that either. And frankly, I would expect a more expensive brand to not bleed. Guess I need to think otherwise. Thanks for the heads up!!

suzy

Bookmark and Share