Pages

26.12.08

Jewish Christmas

Maybe it was the guilt of knowing I did not even get close to finishing my holiday knitting . . . Or, maybe it was massive amount of food I consumed over the past two days. . . Whatever it was, I so exhausted that sleeping in this morning was more appealing then taking a trip to yarn heaven for the day after Christmas sale. Heck, I didn't shop their sale online - clearly I am ill.

In all seriousness, the past two days have been fun. Even though I am Jewish and technically I should have been eating Chinese food and going to see a movie, I spent yesterday celebrating Christmas. I am so thankful and appreciative to the families that opened their homes to me this year for Christmas Eve and Christmas. As one of my friends said to me when I thanked them for the invite, "Everyone should have to put up with someone's family on Christmas regardless of their religion." Though I laugh every time I think of that comment, I take it with a grain of salt at the same time. It makes me reflect to Christmas' past and appreciate the memories that were made on those occasions.

My reputation as a "yelper" is starting to precede me. As I shared details of the festivities with a friend I was asked how I would rate both experiences - how many stars would I give them. No pressure people! I opted not to answer the question because I did not feel it was fair to the families. However, I will say this - over the past two days I had some of the best food I ever had. This included Lefse which is a Norwegian specialty made out of potatoes. Also, I had some of the best homemade apple pie ever. I would love to get the recipe and make it with a special pie crust recipe a friend of mine shared with me. I've always wanted to make apple pie and I think the two recipes combined would make an outstanding treat. Additionally, I had a cup of espresso for the first time and I even learned how to make it. Also, I was fortunate enough to spend time with two families that were friendly, warm and a blast to be around. By the end of the evening I felt as though I was part of the family and not just a guest. Again, I am thankful and fortunate to have been included in their celebration.

Now, that the holidays are over it of course the perfect time to start all the holiday knitting I've been mentioning over the prior weeks. Then again, technically, the holidays aren't over for me. Hanukkah doesn't end until the 29th. This discovery makes me feel somewhat better about the fact that I just started my mom's birthday/hanukkah/new years socks today - you know the ones that should have been started when I got the yarn about a month and a half ago.

Here's what I have done so far. . .




It's kind of strange knitting with lace weight sock yarn. My Harry Potter socks are DK weight so they are a lot thicker than what I am working with now. At the end of the day what I am most concerned about is that mom gets a pair of socks that she enjoys.

With that said, it's time for me to sign off. . . Happy Knitting to all! Ciao!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share