Pages

29.12.08

Those Aren't Allowed Here

While interviewing for my job, I was informed some travel may be required of me. This travel included one location that would require me to fly which was perfectly fine by me. Then, suddenly, I started to wonder. . . Would I be able to take my projects on the plane? What types of needles were prohibited on planes these days? Would I have to give up knitting during the duration of my trip (g-d forbid!)? It was my first time facing airplane travel as an avid knitter and to be honest the thought of not being able to take a project with me upset me. Much to my delight, after searching the TSA regulations online, I learned knitting needles were permitted on planes as long as the TSA Officer didn't perceive them as a weapon. And what if the TSA Officer perceived them as a weapon? That is what a self-addressed stamped envelope is for. See below for the exact TSA regulations:
TSA Guidelines to Transporting Knitting Needles & Needlepoint




I have a good friend going through a nasty divorce, which includes a bitter custody battle. I am happy to listen to my friend vent and be a sounding board. In all honestly, and full disclosure, I went through a crappy divorce myself this year so if anyone knows the value of having someone to vent unconditionally to, it is yours truly.

As I sit and listen to their tales of whoa I often find myself knitting (don't act so surprised). Recently, as I listened to my friend's latest dramas an extremely random thought popped into my head - wouldn't it be great if all courthouses allowed knitting needles and crochet hooks into the building!? Especially on the Domestic Relations floor - everyone on that floor is either getting divorced, fighting a custody/child support battle and/or fighting with family.

Think about it. . . Unless you work there, most people do not willingly look forward to spending extended periods of time at a courthouse (I know I didn't, and in reality those that work there probably don't either). If you do have to spend extended periods of time at a courthouse it's usually due to one of two things. Either you've been summoned for jury duty or you are part of a trial/court case. Both options lack excitement or any type of positive vibe.

Then there is knitting . . . It's a proven fact that knitting is therapeutic. Knitters not only make creative and beautiful items, they use knitting as way to calm themselves. Don't believe me? Ask an avid knitter what they do when they're frustrated. I'll give you a hint!

Put the two together and what do you have. . . Imagine, instead of the bitterness, hate and lies that normally flood the Domestic Relations floor of any given courthouse; that floor would be a place of calm, peace and honesty. Ah, such a beautiful thing to aspire too. Oh, and as far as knitting needles being "weapons" - the only knitting needles I find dangerous are those used for socks. (I speak from experience when I say it hurts to be poked by one of those things)

Maybe, just maybe, one day this dream of being able to knit in the courthouse will be reality. . . Hey, a frog can dream, right!?

Until later . . . Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share