Pages

5.11.08

The Last 36 Hours

Election day was an exciting day. Regardless of whom won, history was made. In many ways. Record number of voters went to the polls, record number of people registered to vote. Record number of people became involved the campaign(s) they felt closely reflected their view point(s).

Election judges gave many, many hours of their time getting ready for the election, setting up the polls and helping voters during the election. Poll watchers ensuring that election laws and regulations were followed so voters could exercise their right to vote and challenged things they felt interfered with a person's right to vote. November 4, 2008, and the days leading up to it, was truly a time to remember.

......................

Aside from voting this election, I participated at the polls as a poll watcher. Yes, you can call me "Officer Froggie" if you wish. It was an amazing experience. It gave me a lot of insight into the election day process and a fresh perspective on the politics behind the event. All the things you "think" would never happen, do actually happen.

It was an amazing experience and can't wait to do it again.

............................


Instead of recapping the whole day I'll try to hit the highlights. . .

* It's a LONG day. There is no other way to put it. When you dedicate your time to an election (whether it be as an election judge, poll watcher, part of a political group, etc) you are dedicating so much of your time and yourself.

* Opening the Polls is time consuming

- Setting up the voting booths and related equipment.
- Signing off on opening totals/checking opening totals
- Ensuring there is enough parking and signage indicating where the polling place is.
- Checking to make sure there isn't a policy or procedure that has been missed.
- Oh, did I mention this all takes place about an half hour/hour before the poll opens (yes, that means at the bright and early hour of 5/5:30AM)

* Once the Polls are Open

- Lines, lines AND more lines.
- No ID Required - Elections judges aren't allowed to ask someone for their id as part of election day registration process (unless it explicitly says "Check ID" on that person's registration card). All they need to do is make sure the signature on the card matches the signature they sign that day.
- Voter Relations - A variety of problems arise during the day. A majority of them deal with someone not showing as registered, someone is showing invalid and as a result can only vote in the federal election or someone goes to the wrong polling place or didn't register at their new address in time.


* Closing the Polls

- Once the polls are officially closed and the last voter has voted there is a lot to do pack everything up. It takes about an hour to get everything all done and packed up.
- Ensuring the machines scanning/recording the ballots match the number of ballots that were given out by election judges. Matching up the voter registration cards that were pulled from the record books.
- More policies and procedures
- More sign off to ensure the integrity of the information being submitted to the election commission.
- Breaking down the voting booths and voting equipment.

There is much, much more I could write about the experience, but I honestly don't have the time to do so. However, I will say, once again, that it was an amazing experience and I look forward to participating in many more elections to come.

.........................


Other Things Worth Mentioning (all based upon my opinion):

Best Response Given By A Voter Once Told Where Their Correct Polling Place Was -

"Yeah, I know where it is. . . It's by the jail."

Best News Store Posted Online -

Pregnant Woman Goes Into Labor In Voting Line And She Comes Back To Vote Anyway...

Passive Campaigning inside the polling site -

I was amazed that one voters was miffed at me when I asked them to take off a candidate button because you could not have any campaign materials within 100 feet of the polling place. (I am completely serious about this people)

..........................

Waiting for the Returns

Where's the party?

Once the polls were closed, we had shut down our polling place and the polls results are delivered to the election commission one thing is left ... wait for the returns of other polling locations to come back and for winners to be declared.

I had two election night gathering I was invited too. The first one was a big party with a bunch of people I didn't know. It was thrown by the organization from whom I represented at the polls that day. After dropping off my copies of the ballot tapes I joined the fun. Well, that was my intention. After making my way around the room and of course grabbing a bite to eat I realized I really wanted to be at party number two instead of party number one. Don't get me wrong, it was all exciting and great to be in a big room of people you know supported the candidate(s) you did. It was exciting that there was news media there covering an event you were at, but it lacked the really fun and excitement of the evening as party number would provide.

Party number two was with my peeps. We didn't watch the traditional news media report the returns (that is what the internet is for). Instead we made election night fun by watching Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert go at it during Comedy Central's "Indecision 2008: America's Choice." Here's a little taste of what we watched:



Funny news reporting, friends to make you laugh even more than you already were and the anticipation of the results - who could ask for more!?

.......................


In the end the big race of the night was called around 10PM CST (11 EST)

Here are the respective concession and victory speeches. . .


John McCain's Concession Speech



Barak Obama's Victory Speech




I think both individuals did an excellent job in their speeches and conveying to all that it's now time to look to the future.


.......................

Coming full circle -

My election day/night/morning ended for me around the same time it started - just about 24 hours later. I took today off of work because I knew I'd need to catch up on my sleep (and boy did I ever).

When I finally woke I took advantage of the wonderful weather we are having (thank you global warming). I also took the time to look at the outcome of the other races I was interested in. I was pleased with some of the results and others not so much - but that is life.

If I've learned anything from this it's that we as a country can make a different - regardless of whether or not the candidate you support wins or loses. I've learned that corruption does really does exists in the places we don't want to believe it does. I've learned to listen to those that don't agree with me with the intention to understand them better - not to try to persuade them into believing as I do.

On that note, I must run. Until later . . . Ta! Ta!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share