Pages

20.5.10

Home Is Where The Car Takes You

It was at the most two months since the move. The plan was simple. I would drop-off the ex at the airport for a business trip and then make my way home. The route was simple as well. Make like I'm going to Indiana, but jet off onto another highway towards Iowa. Who the hell could mess that up? Yeah, that's right! I can.

Instead of following the planned course, I totally bypassed the exit ramp to Indiana. I didn't realize what I had done until I was too far along to make a quick turn around. Guess the car knew I hadn't quite settled in to our new home because it led me back to my previous residence.

(Either that or it knew I needed some retail therapy as the alternate route back to Iowa would take me past the mall.)

This time, the plan was simple as well. A drop-off at the airport and then to Wisconsin for brunch. Again, how could one screw it up? And again, apparently very easily.

This time I actually did take the exit ramp to Indiana. I'm surprised I didn't notice this sooner. (Maybe it was my slight preoccupation with finding something decent on the radio.) The tip-off I wasn't heading towards Wisconsin came when I saw the signs indicating the ramp for Iowa was just a few miles away. "Crap Monkey!" I said in an annoyed tone. Quickly I plotted how I would get myself back on track and sprung into action.

As I turned myself around it hit me. The annoying feeling that had entered my body when I realized my mistake was suddenly replace with laughter because that's when I realized . . .

Home Is Where The Car Takes You - and not necessarily your intended destination.

Until later . . .

No comments:

Bookmark and Share