Pages

25.4.10

Socktacular Saturday (On Sunday): Construction

Well, I'm sad to say it's that time of year again folks!

This time, they decided to start the fun on April Fool's Day. Only G-d knows when it will be finished - I doubt the state has an idea. What am I talking about? I'm talking about the extended April Fool's joke that the fair State of IL calls construction season. Or, as all the signs this year promote it as - "The Recovery and Reinvestment Program of 2010."

Don't get me wrong, I believe is repaving and widening roads when needed to meet the need or traffic. I'm also cautiously optimist that some of the pothole filled streets I initially avoid will soon my smooth and drivable once again. However that is not my problem. My problem is that it appears pretty much every road and major highway I take on a regular basis is now part of construction season. Which basically leaves me sitting in traffic much longer than I wish too.

This past weekend, I was talking about this with a friend and they mentioned some of the drivers they had seen on the highway that day had books and newspapers with them to pass the time. That's when I laughed because for me my knitting is my "book" or "newspaper."

That's right! Sock knitting is now not only about keeping me occupied while I'm waiting for trains to pass (assuming I have one in the car with me). It is now my way of passing time as I sit in imminent construction delays. I would work on blankie or the February Lady sweater I recently cast-on, but those project are just to big for this situation. A sock is the perfect project for the car (as I've always said). Actually, if it weren't for construction I would not have finished my most recent pair of sock (which I will soon post about once I find my card read). It has also contributed to a few tips I have about knitting socks while sitting in traffic:

• Socks with Repeats

If you're going to work on a sock while sitting in traffic I recommend you not work on one that has a complicated repeat series. Learn from my mistakes - you're not going to be able to refer to your direction very easily. Also, make sure it is a pattern you can push aside at a moments notice as you never know when traffic will get going again.

• Extra Items

Though you can carry with you a measuring tape, cable needles, crochet hooks, etc. with you, and technically use them while sitting in traffic, I do not recommend you do so.

• Counting

As we all know, counting repeats, stitches, etc. is important it can distract you from the more important focus, once again - watching for traffic to get started again.

And most importantly . . .

• Keep an Eye on Traffic and Be Safe!

Yes, knitting during construction does help pass the time and even dampen road-rage, but it wouldn't help you longterm if the cars behind you get ticked off at you because you were paying more attention to whether or not your pattern is working out right.

Also, make sure you are a dead-stop when you are knitting. Like drinking and driving - knitting and driving DON'T MIX! Actually, just be careful overall. Even at a dead-stop knitting in the car (whether you are a driver or passenger) can be dangerous.

Oh, no more preaching! I'm going back to making some construction socks!

Until later . . .

No comments:

Bookmark and Share