Pages

17.3.11

The Ultimate App And Some Apologies

Last May I blogged about my first "real" experience using an iPhone. I was out with a friend and I borrowed their phone to find the name of a hotel I wanted to suggest for an event they were planning. In the post, I mentioned after I had played with the phone for awhile I went on and on to my friend about what I would consider "the ultimate app" for an iPhone. I even proclaimed that should such an app come into existence I would, without a doubt, get an iPhone. At the time, my "ultimate app" would have been a Ravelry app.

At the time such an app was in development. However, in Januarly 2011 Casey - of Ravelry fame and awesomeness - announced that there were not enough resources to support such an application and development would cease. Bummer. Alternatively, Casey made recommendations on how knitters/crocheters could best utilize their favorite Ravelry features via their mobile device, i.e. using the Google Reader app to display patterns, etc.

To be honest, since that particular spring morning I hadn't thought much about a Ravelry app. As I've mentioned lately on many occasions the amount of knitting I've been doing over the past months has decreased. Additionally, I didn't have a mobile device that needed it and I really didn't anticipate having one anytime soon. Thus, there was no need. That is, up until recently . . .

This past week I finally caved and got a smartphone. Instead of the release of a Ravelry app, the catalyst for the purchase of my new toy phone was based solely on the fact that I've been missing important e-mails over the past couple of weeks when I've been out and about.

I was hesitant to purchase a smartphone. I had one in 2007/2008. As much as I loved it and appreciate the convenience that came with it, I didn't like my lack of social etiquette that reared its ugly head. It was the same disregard for social etiquette I had grown to resent whenever others would pull out their phones at dinner or while we were in the midst of conversations.

It is for that reason I would like to issue two sets of apologies . . .

The first apologies go out to anyone I have given a difficult time too regarding the above mentioned behavior. I understand, it's difficult not to pull it out each and every time an e-mail or text message arrives. G-d knows even when I had my simple flip phone it was difficult to resist the urge to read incoming text messages each and every time I heard the alert go off. In the few days I've had this device I've already caught myself using it at inappropriate times. Additionally, I would like to say I completely agree its capabilities make life easier - can't tell you how excited I when I discovered the Google Maps app. My directionally challenged life has been changed forever!

The second apologies go out to my friends who do not have smartphones (yet). I apologize in advance for any unnecessary use of this new toy when we are hanging out. I promise to make a sincere effort to not be "that person." There really shouldn't be a problem. The first day I was totally all about playing with it regardless of whom I was with at the time. The next two days I was able to put it away and only take it out when absolutely necessary. This makes me hopeful that this will not be as much as a problem as I anticipate.

With all that in mind, it is time for me to sleep. Another thing about my new phone I love - it has an alarm that works!

Until later . . .

No comments:

Bookmark and Share