Pages

23.3.09

Blogging Housekeeping

After my last post, I decided I wanted to do a little blog housekeeping. Simply put, I wanted to transfer my post about Joe Wishnoff to this blog. Back then I was not writing anything personal on this blog so it didn't seem right to post this entry here. However, this is now an equal opportunity blog. . . Below is what I wrote on July 19, 2008 about Joe:

My friend Joe Wishnoff, 29, passed away on Monday, July 14th from a 3 year battle with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF). IPF is a rare lung disease that is causes the lung tissue to prematurely scar and age, making it extremely difficult to breathe. IPF is typically found in older adults - Joe was an unexplained exception. There is no cure or medication that helps and over time people with IPF become dependent an oxygen tank 24/7.

Since I hadn't talked to Joe in a really long time what I would learn at his funeral is that Joe was close to getting a double lung transplant. Something he had anticipated for sometime. However his chance for the next chapter in his life to begin didn't take place soon enough.

I know this is all sad, but Joe would not want you to be sad for him. See, Joe was about enjoying life to its fullest - even before he was diagnosed with IPF. After being diagnosed with IPF he continued to get the most out of life and didn't complain about the hand he had been dealt or feel sorry for himself. Despite his horrible circumstances, Joe would always be cracking jokes and making others feel good.

When I first met him I would have never known that he had this serious condition if it hadn't been for the person who introduced us telling me about it. I vividly recall telling that person that I had no clue it was him until we were formally introduced.

The last time I saw Joe was on my birthday back in 2007. We had bumped into each other on our way to the same place. It was during that encounter that I could honestly say was the first and only time I saw any sign of weakness or sadness about his situation. And, even then it wasn't something that would be obvious to anyone around us. The only reason I knew was from a simple comment he made to me as we traveled to our destination.

I think his aunt put it best at the memorial service when she said something to the effect of "Joe wasn't the lucky one to have all of us in his life; we were the lucky ones to have him in our life." How true that statement is! To me Joe was an example and inspiration of how one should live their life.

I aspire to be like Joe. He taught me to be thankful for everyday I have and to make the most of it. Also, he has showed me that feeling sorry for ones self doesn't get them far. It's taking life by the hand and making the most out of it that is the main objective. That our time here is priceless and no one really knows how much of it they have so why not make it the best possible. I never had the chance to tell Joe any of my thoughts (I haven't even told my closest family and friends until recently for that matter. I don't even think the person who introduced us knows any of this either). I hope Joe knew somehow the impact his life had on mine and that I will carry his spirit with me for the remainder of the days of my life.

There is a special place in my heart for Joe and in the hearts of all the lives he touched . . . R.I.P., Joe.

Original Post

No comments:

Bookmark and Share