Pages

5.1.10

The Chef and The Knitter

The Official Sock Yarn Blankie Square Count for January 5, 2010:

Squares Needed: 736



Squares Knit and Stitched Together: 376


Remaining Squares Needed: LOTS! In real numbers 360


Last night, I watched the movie "Julie and Julia." It was cute and I'll probably rent it now and then, but it wasn't as good as I expected. However, what really struck a cord with me is Julie Powell's blog posts about her adventures in cooking her way through Julia Child's cookbook. It reminds me in some ways to this blankie challenge I've taken on. Could I write on a daily basis about it? No. Sometime, a weekly basis is a stretch.

Of the blog posts that were referenced during the movie, it was mentioned what the challenge did for Julie Powell. Personally, this challenge that I am currently in the middle of has done a lot for me so far. I know I've mentioned this before, but when you take on something like this you learn a lot about yourself. Most of the time you don't really realize these things until someone stops you to ask how you do it, or why you do it. I think that is part of the magic of something like this.

Before I sign off . . .

As I type this entry out, I sit here, as I have done many times before, with blankie draped across my lap (folded in half given the chair I'm in.) At home I use it as a lap blankie.


The perfect lap blanket (taken December 2009)



The length of blankies reports in at 54" which is just barely 9/10 of my 62.75" height with a depth of 26" - a 1/3 of a King size bed.

Back in the day, there wasn't much warmth to blankie. Now, when I take it off my lap I am amazed the difference it makes. Back in the day, there was no form or function to it. For some reason I was adding squares all over the place instead of straight across. One day, I finally got it to an even length across. I was tickled purple the day that happened. I know one day not to far from now, this monster will not only drape my lap, but my legs as well. As much as I look forward to that day as it will mean the end is near I believe it will also be bitter sweet.

Until later . . .

1 comment:

Melissa said...

i'm glad you saw the movie and that this blankie challenge is something enjoyable to you. :)

Bookmark and Share