Pages

30.1.10

Socktacular Saturday: My Number

Whenever we have the conversation I laugh - a lot. Mainly because if you didn't know what we were talking about you'd think we were revealing how many individuals we've been intimate with. (Sorry if that is what you thought I meant by the sub-title, "My Number." This is not one of "those" type of posts.)

In reality I'm talking about the number hanks of sock yarn I have. I have to admit it's easy to lose track - fast! Recently, I reorg-ed my stash. I was talking with someone about the stash situation and their intial suggestion had given me the idea of using the top compartment of my cedar chest to store this plentiful abundance. This came as a creative solution to the complaint I had made that just throwing the stash in the main compartment made it difficult to find what I was looking for.

The result:



If you ask me, it worked out well. It has helped me better visualize my inventory and get a handle on what I have.

For those that don't knit, or knit as often as I do, it may look like a lot. However, it's not. My number is a lot lower than others I know. (Yeah, I realize I just rationalized this by comparing myself to others . . . no need to point out the obvious.) However, the truth is that my number is a lot lower. For example, I know someone who could knit a pair of socks every month for the next 10 years. I'll let you do the math on this one. When I tell other sock knitters about this amazing number there are some that sigh with relief their number is not so bad. Others laugh at me and say something to the effect of, "That's nothing."

So, why is there a need for so much stash? Well, if you are a sock knitter than you have to answer that for yourself. For non-knitter, no reason I give you will suffice. Honestly, do you think you'd buy into any reasoning I give you?

When I first converted my number into actual dollars, I had a minor heart attack. I instantly wondered if this was covered by my insurance policy G-d forbid something happened. Then I realized that some of my number was gifted to me. Yeah, a majority of it has be bought by yours truly, but it is true that I didn't pay for ALL of it. (Yes, I realize that I am continuing to rationalize.) At the end of the day it makes me happy and I know one day all this fibrous goodness will be used to make the o-so coveted knitted socks I look forward to putting on every day. To me that is all that matters.

Oh, and as for my number . . . I'm not telling. It might make a good blog contest some day. : P

Until later . . .

No comments:

Bookmark and Share