Pages

20.1.10

Redesign and Surgery

The Official Sock Yarn Blankie Square Count for January 20, 2010:

Squares Needed: 736



Squares Knit and Stitched Together: 397


Remaining Squares Needed: LOTS! In real numbers 339


I couldn't just leave things the way they were. No, no, no . . . I had an epiphany and ran with it. Nothing would go wrong, right!? (Famous last words.)

About two weeks ago I decided to redesign blankie a bit. I decided that I would undo three of the square from the very bottom row, that faced upside down and replace them with a larger square that faced the same direction. The other decision I made was that after I performed this surgery, I would start expanding blankie's length from the opposite direction I have been this whole time. It was so freakin' cleaver and genius!

Then, I performed the surgery/redesign. I went into this procedure thinking it would be a piece o' cake. Who was I kidding? I mean really. From the very start it was disaster. From the very start I started to screw things up. First things first - I snipped the wrong yarn end. Oops! Then after I realized what I had done I fixed that. Then after I started to unravel the three squares in question I realized two things.

1) It wouldn't be as easy as I thought to just rip the stitches out. I basically ended up cutting squares out of blankie.



2) By taking out these stitches I would be exposing live stitches. Should these stitches drop blankie would have been a goner.

After a mild coronary/anxiety attack I put a temporary lifeline through these live stitches so they would be the demise of this project. Once I had the lifeline in place I started to work on the new large square. Once that was finished I felt much better about what had happened.

Blankie, and seven plus months of work, were saved! Phew! All was right with the world again. Blankie's growth has been stunted a bit with the anticipation and start of Sock Wars. Once I'm killed, I fully expect to start working full-force on blankie once again.

Until later . . .

No comments:

Bookmark and Share