Pages

8.12.09

Swap Mom

The Official Sock Yarn Blankie Square Count for December 8, 2009:

Squares Needed: 736


Squares Knit and Stitched Together: 312
(A shout out to JP for pointing out that this number honors "Sweet Home Chicago"!)

Remaining Squares Needed: LOTS! In real numbers 424



This is what 312 square looks like:

312



The day before Thanksgiving I bought a lot of yarn to swap for this project. KP said it was a bold move on my part. That it made a statement that I was committed to finishing this puppy. Yeah, I guess. Honestly, I think I was bored and enticed by the super cheap price of the yarn. Ok, ok, that wasn't the case. Seriously, I have just gotten to a place with this project where I wanted to know for sure I would finish it. Also, I have a second one of these things to complete - this yarn will not go to waste!

The amount of yarn I bought will yield 300 squares. That will put blankie at 612 square. This is not counting the swap yarn I have coming to me from out-standing swaps (about 80 squares) and any donations made from one of my many generous donors. It's also not counting any yarn I have for larger squares. So, all said and done I have the yarn to complete at least one of these. Now I just need to knit swap it all out and then knit it all up by next November!

As much as I enjoy swapping, it's a whole process of its own - whether you are a swap mom or just a swapper.

From the Swappers' Perspective:

Swaps for this project fill up quickly. The number of swaps one can be in is limitless - as long as you get your yarn to the swap mom within the time allotted.

Once you're in, it's now time to make the minis. First you have to cake the yarn. Then make the mini-skeins.

Depending on your swap mom, you may need to weigh the minis to make sure they are the correct weight - typically 5 or 10 grams. If you do it this way, then you need a decent kitchen scale. However, some swap moms are cool with approximate weights. In that case, it's a matter of dividing the yardage of the yarn evenly between 20 swappers. If you've never done this before it can be stressful. I mean come on, how many of us have tools to measure out yards of yarn. Over the past six months I think I've used binders, books, rulers and pieces of cardboard to measure minis out. Then finally, KP made two knitty knotties. It has been a g-d sent! (Thank you KP!)

Making mini-skeins the first couple of times is fun. Then it can get redundant. Oh, and don't forget your labels for each mini - name of the swap, type of yarn, colorway, fiber content.

Lastly, once you've hanked your minis and put your labels on it's time to get the trusty ziplock bag. Don't forget to put your name, address, RAV ID and name of swap on the bag. KP likes to put the number of minis she's submitting to the swap as she sends 19 (holding hers back rather than sending it with all the others). Some do the same; others not. All personal preference. After that is all said and done, it's time to get your self-addressed stamped envelope ready and then the envelope they will be sent it. Make sure all the postage is good. You'd hate to have the yarn not make it to the swap mom or worse not make it back to you, right!?


Have I turned you off to swapping yet?

From the Swap Mom's Perspective:

I stopped counting how many swaps I've coordinated. It's been that many.

I enjoy coordinating swaps. I get to play with ExCel spreadsheets, see what everyone is sending in and most importantly I get to meet a lot of new people I would have not otherwise really interacted with. However, it is time consuming to corridnate a swap.

First you have to decide what type of swap it is - brand specific, color specific, free for all, LYS qualify, Big Box quality (just to name a few possibilities). Next name your swap. Then comes the rules. Remember when putting together your rules to have enough rules to guide people, but not so many that they are overwhelmed. Oh, yeah, remember that you are the swap mom so you have to enforce the rules, within reason - flexibility is a good thing - so make sure you are comfortable with them. Now it's time to promote your swap. Once the swap is up and going checking the boards constantly for people wanting to play is helpful. Also you have to be in constant communication with your swappers.

(Tired yet? Because I'm just getting started!)


So, you get the point - swapping on either end of the coin is a lot of work. At the end of the day it is totally worth it. KP periodically mentions that once hers is done she won't know what to do. There will be this hole. I completely concur with that comment. However, something tells me I won't get to that point for awhile. :D

Until later . . .

No comments:

Bookmark and Share