Pages

7.12.09

Sweet Melody

I'm blown-away every time.

Every time I hear Cantor D sing that is. I've known Cantor D for at least 8 years now. It's hard to believe I knew him before he was a Cantor. I have to admit, it seems just like yesterday he was sending me the mp3 tracks he would be submitting for his final Cantorial Selections. I remember pressing play and thinking "Seriously!? This is Cantor D singing?" (I shouldn't have been surprised. He did sing at BFF's wedding. However, it was BFF's wedding so my mind was more on BFF then anything else.) I sat in my chair and closed my eyes taking in the beautiful songs that were coming out of my speakers.

The first time I heard Cantor D sing live (well, at least remember) was this summer. It was my own fault it wasn't sooner. He had moved back the summer prior, but I was in another place and time at that point. It would take me almost a year to finally accept one of his periodic invitations to attend a Shabbos service.

It was a lovely August evening and services were being held in the congregation's outside meeting area. A very tranquil place if I do say so myself. Shamefully, I was late. I blame all the construction that was taking place, but I also hadn't timed the drive well either. I took my seat and opened my prayer book to the appropriate page. Not too long after my arrival Cantor D began to sing.

OMG! I was memorized. Even on an "average" Friday evening, Cantor D sang with such grace and beauty that had come from my speakers a few years prior. I was paralyzed (in a good way of course!). That particular evening, I was also fortunate enough to hear Cantor D give Shabbos sermon. It was a reflection piece he had written a few years prior about his time in Israel. I had goose bumps and a few alligator tears ran down my cheeks. I had heard about all that he spoke of in bits and pieces over the years, and even read the blogs from which the main portion of his sermon originated. However, it took on a different form to hear him speak the words of that experience rather than read them on a flat computer screen. Emotioncons don't quite have the same impact as vocal inflection.

Last night Cantor D's congregation had their annual Cantorial Concert to raise money for their charity of choice. I was amongst a group of guests Cantor D had invited to the concert. Again, I sat in awe of Cantor D as he sang. This time we were in the main sanctuary so the melody was illuminated even more than my prior visits. At one point I closed my eyes so I could appreciate the amazing sounds around me. I felt as though I was in a great concert hall. My thoughts began to wander and I realize that it isn't so far-fetched to believe that one day I would be listening to Cantor D in a great concert hall. He surely has the potential.

If you haven't guessed, I'm a "Cantor Fan." (Just one of many.) I'm very proud of my friend. But he is not only my friend, he is my Cantor. I know it sounds funny to say, but to some extent I see him as the trusted clergy I've turned too for counsel as well as friendship.

Though he's only officially been a Cantor for a few years now, his road to this point-in-time has not always been easy. Maybe that is what makes this music even that much more beautiful for me. The road he has taken is much like the one we all take. Sort of like the Yellow Brick Road, in the "Wizard Of Oz." A road filled with sunshine, but also obstacles in our way that we must over come only to find that when we meet the great wizard the answers to our struggles (whatever they may be) have been with us the whole time - deep within. The answers that inevitably take us home.

It is my believe, that at this time, Cantor D has found his home at his congregation in the Chicagoland area. And until he decides that this is no longer home, and needs to follow the next road, I will take advantage the opportunity to see him perform live whenever possible.

Until later . . .

No comments:

Bookmark and Share